Charles M. Schroeder CV
Ray and Beverly Mentzer Faculty Scholar
Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
Department of Chemistry (Affiliate)
Department of Materials Science & Engineering (Affiliate)
Department of Bioengineering (Affiliate)
Center for Biophysics & Computational Biology
Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory (Affiliate)
Carl W. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology / Biosystems Design
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Honors and Awards (selected)
Beckman Fellow, Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2014)
Camille & Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award (2013)
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2013)
NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (2013)
Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award, Society of Rheology (2012)
U.S. Frontiers of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering (2012)
Packard Fellowship, David & Lucile Packard Foundation (2011)
List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, F’08, S’11 (2008)
NIH Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00) (2006)
Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research Postdoctoral Fellowship (2005)
Gerald J. Lieberman Fellowship, Stanford University (2003)
National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Fellowship (1999)
Bo joins us from Georgia Tech, where he earned his PhD in Materials Science and Engineering. Bo’s research interest includes peptide assembly, new microfluidics and fabricating/demonstrating fluidic devices for assembly, and optical/chemical characterization of assembled materials. Outside the lab, he enjoys playing billiards, soccer, and developing new languages.
Yuecheng (Peter) Zhou
Yuecheng (Peter) joins us from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he received his B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in Chemistry. Currently, he is pursuing his Ph.D. in the same department. He is interested in dynamics of different polymer systems under various flow fields, such as oscillatory extensional flow.
Songsong joins us from the University of Science and Technology of China, where he received his B.S. in Polymer Chemistry. Songsong is interested in the synthesis of block copolymers to study their dynamics and self-assembly properties. Outside of the lab, he is a backpacker and enjoys studying the Chinese history.
Shivani joins from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, where she received her B.Tech. and M.Tech. in Chemical Engineering in 2015. She worked on theoretical modeling of multi-component solutions for her master’s thesis. Her current interests lie in the field of polymer dynamics. Outside of lab, she enjoys reading and swimming.
Michael joins us from the University of Minnesota, where he received his B.S. in Chemical Engineering. He is interested in the dynamics of various polymer systems under shear flow. Outside of the lab, he enjoys playing musical instruments and figure skating.
Dinesh joins us from the University of Toronto, where he received his Master of Applied Sciences (MASc) in Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry in 2016. Prior to that, he completed his undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, in 2014. He is interested in using hydrodynamic trap to study vesicle interactions in an extensional flow.
Jin joins us from Peking University, where he received his B.S. in College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering. His research focuses on the development of new biomaterial and chemical biology tools. He is interested in sports, reading, and traveling.
Eddie joins us from Cleveland State University, where he received his B.S. in Chemical Engineering. He is interested in the synthesis and self-assembly of electrically conductive oligomers and small molecules. Outside of the lab, he enjoys playing tennis and reading.
Yi is a sophomore in Chemical Engineering at UIUC. He currently assists Anish with his Hydrodynamic Trapping by molding PDMS devices and fabricating masters using SU-8 2050. He also has some experience with gas separation and capture. Outside of lab, he enjoys playing tennis and badminton.
Channing is a junior in Chemical Engineering at UIUC. He currently works with Dinesh Kumar in using the Stokes trap to study vesicle interactions in flow. Outside of lab, he enjoys literature and music.
As of Fall 2017, Eugene is a sophomore in chemical engineering at UIUC. He currently works with Peter and Shivani in their studies of polymer dynamics of DNA in various solutions and flow fields. Outside of lab, he enjoys fishing and doing martial arts.
- Dr. Christopher Brockman (Ph.D. 2013); Research Engineer, Intel Corporation
- Dr. Arnab Mukherjee (Ph.D. 2014); Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California-Santa Barbara
- Dr. Folarin Latinwo (Ph.D. 2014); Postdoctoral Fellow (Debenedetti Group), Princeton University
- Dr. Eric Johnson-Chavarria (Ph.D. 2014); AAAS Fellow, NIH/National Cancer Institute, Structural Biology Molecular Applications Branch (SBMAB)
- Dr. Utsav Agrawal (Ph.D. 2015); Research Engineer, Intel Corporation
- Dr. Amanda Marciel (Ph.D. 2015); Postdoctoral Fellow (Tirrell Group), University of Chicago
- Dr. Daniel Reilly (Ph.D. 2016); Research Associate (Liarski Group), University of Chicago
- Dr. Luke Cuculis (Ph.D. 2016); Consultant, Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
- Dr. Danielle Mai (Ph.D. 2016); Postdoctoral Fellow (Olsen Group), MIT
- Dr. Kaiwen Hsiao (Ph.D. 2017); Research Engineer, Intel Corporation
- Dr. Anish Shenoy (Ph.D. 2017); Research Engineer, Intel Corporation
- Prof. Melikhan Tanyeri, Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering, Duquesne University (Jan 2018)
- Dr. Younghoon Kim, Staff Scientist, Genzyme
- Dr. Kejia Chen, Research Engineer, Google
- Dr. Subhalakshmi (Subha) Kumar, Senior Research Engineer, Inprentus