Understanding molecular charge transport is essential for designing new molecular electronic devices and for developing new materials for energy storage and transport applications. Despite recent advances, our knowledge of molecular charge transport has been hindered by challenges in precisely quantifying the electronic properties of single molecules, coupled with an inability to explore the vast chemical sequence space available for organic materials. Our work aims to understand molecular charge transport in new classes of materials for energy storage, capture, and transport applications. In particular, we aim to understand how charge (electrons/holes) is transported through conjugated organic molecules and oligomers and polymers with redox-active groups. We use custom, in-house scanning tunneling microscope-break junction (STM-BJ) instruments for this work, which enables direct measurement of molecular conductance in synthetic organic materials and biomaterials such as peptides and DNA.
1. S. Li, H. Yu, X. Chen, A. A. Gewirth, J. S. Moore, C. M. Schroeder, “Covalent Ag-C Bonding Contacts from Unprotected Terminal Acetylenes for Molecular Junctions”, Nano Letters, 20, 5490 (2020).
2. H. Yu*, S. Li*, K. E. Schwieter, Y. Liu, B. Sun, J. S. Moore, C. M. Schroeder, “Charge Transport in Sequence-defined Conjugated Oligomers”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 142, 4852 (2020).
3. S. Li*, H. Yu*, K. E. Schwieter, K. Chen, B. Li, Y. Liu, J. S. Moore, C. M. Schroeder, “Charge Transport and Quantum Interference in Oxazole-Terminated Conjugated Oligomers”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 141, 16079 (2019).
4. B. Li, H. Yu, E. C. Montoto, Y. Liu, S. Li, K. Schwieter, J. Rodriquez-Lopez, J. S. Moore, C. M. Schroeder, “Intrachain Charge Transport through Conjugated Donor-Acceptor Oligomers”, ACS Applied Electronic Materials, 1, 7 (2019).
5. S. Li, J. Li, H. Yu, S. Pudar, B. Li, J. Rodríguez-Lopez, J. S. Moore, C. M. Schroeder, “Characterizing Intermolecular Interactions in Redox-active Pyridinium-based Molecular Junctions”, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, (2020).