Single polymer dynamics | soft matter | molecular materials | vesicle dynamics | Stokes trap | single molecule conductance | DNA data storage
- August 2019 – Charles gave an invited talk at the 2019 Future Faculty Workshop at Princeton University. Many thanks to Rodney Priestly, Thomas Epps, and LaShanda Korley for organizing a wonderful event to mentor and support graduate students and postdocs who are moving into academia!
- August 2019 – The Shaqfeh Symposium was a success! Approximately 60 friends, family members, and colleagues came together at Stanford to celebrate the career of Eric Shaqfeh. Many thanks to everyone for making this a wonderful event!
- August 2019 – Congrats to Hao Yu, who received an award for his poster presentation at the 2019 Polymers for Advanced Technology meeting (PAT 2019). Hao presented his research on charge transport in sequence-defined conjugated oligomers. Great job!
- August 2019 – Dinesh Kumar was awarded a Travel Grant from the Society of Rheology to attend the 91st Annual SOR Meeting in Raleigh, NC in October. Dinesh will present his work on non-equilibrium vesicle dynamics at the meeting. Congrats to Dinesh on this fine honor!
- July 2019 – Charles gave an invited talk at the SoftComp Workshop in Capri, Italy. Many thanks to Giovanni Ianniruberto, Evelyne van Ruymbeke, and Dimitris Vlassopoulos for organizing the meeting!
- July 2019 – Charles gave an invited talk at the Telluride Science Research Conference on Polymer Physics. Overall an outstanding meeting with lots of great discussions. Many thanks to Muthu and Tim Lodge for the invitation!
- June 2019 – We are excited to welcome Michael Jacobs as a new Beckman Postdoctoral Fellow. Michael joins us from UC Berkeley and LBNL, where he received his PhD in physical chemistry. Welcome Michael!
- May 2019 – Peter Zhou is a newly minted Ph.D. from the Schroeder Group – congrats! Peter will start a postdoc at Stanford with Bianxiao Cui in the Department of Chemistry.
- May 2019 – Kasra Tabatabaei has joined the lab from the Center for Biophysics and Quantitative Biology. Welcome to the group Kasra!
- May 2019 – Charles gave a seminar in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Delaware. Overall a great visit – many thanks to Arthi Jayaraman, Eric Furst, and the department for the invitation!
- May 2019 – Charles has been awarded the 2019 Journal of Rheology Publication Award for a recent article entitled “Single Polymer Dynamics for Molecular Rheology” in JOR. The link to the publication is here. This paper discusses the emerging field of single polymer dynamics by examining all of the outstanding work from top researchers in the field!
- April 2019 – Congrats to Jonathan Deutsch for passing the Biophysics Qualification Exam with flying colors! Way to go, Jonathan!
- April 2019 – Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and Hao Yu for being named as Mavis Future Faculty Fellows for 2019-2020. The Mavis Program provides mentorship and support for graduate students interested in careers in academia. Congrats Hao and Dinesh!
- April 2019 – Charles gave a talk on vesicle dynamics at the Institute for Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (INNFM) at Lake Vyrnwy, Wales. Many thanks to Karl Hawkins and the society for the kind invitation to present our work at the meeting!
- April 2019 – Congrats to Noah Hopkins, Schroeder Group undergrad research student, for receiving Third Place Prize at the Annual ChBE Undergraduate Research Symposium! Great work Noah!
- April 2019 – Our recent work on the single molecule dynamics of ring polymers in semi-dilute solutions has appeared in Nature Communications. Congrats to Peter Zhou on the excellent work and to our superb collaborators Greg McKenna and Rae Robertson-Anderson!
- March 2019 – The Beckman Open House was a big hit! Together with the Molecular Design and Engineering Group at Beckman, Schroeder Group members Shivani Patel and Jonathan Deutsch ran outreach activities including extracting strawberry DNA and building foldable paper microscopes! A fun time for all!
- March 2019 – Schroeder Group members Shivani Patel, Michael Tu, Dinesh Kumar, and Peter Zhou gave outstanding presentations at the March APS Meeting in Boston. Charles gave an invited talk in DPOLY on pi-conjugated peptides (thanks to Mitchell Wang for the invitation!).
- January 2019 – Caroline Li passed the ChBE Qual Exams with flying colors – congratulations to Caroline!
- December 2018 – Our work on single molecule conductance of donor-acceptor polymers has been published in ACS Applied Electronic Materials. Congrats to Bo Li and Hao Yu!
- December 2018 – Jonathan Deutsch has joined the Schroeder Group as a first year Ph.D. student in Biophysics. Welcome Jonathan!
- November 2018 – Charles presented collaborative research on DNA data storage at the kick-off SemiSynBio meeting hosted by the Semiconductor Research Corp and NSF. Exciting work and a great meeting!
- November 2018 – Charles gave a seminar at McGill University in the Department of Physics. Many thanks to Sabrina Leslie for serving as an excellent host for an overall outstanding visit!
- November 2018 – Charles gave a seminar at Purdue University in the Davidson School of Chemical Engineering. Many thanks to Vivek Narsimhan for being a great host and Sangtae Kim for the hospitality!
- October 2018 – The Schroeder Group had a great time at the Annual AIChE Meeting in Pittsburgh. Presentations were given by Dinesh Kumar, Shivani Patel, and Peter Zhou. Charles gave an invited Plenary Lecture in the Bionanotechnology Area. Thanks to Katie Whitehead for the invitation!
- October 2018 – Caroline Li has joined the Schroeder Group as a first year Ph.D. student in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering. Welcome Caroline!
- October 2018 – Shivani Patel has been awarded a Hanratty Travel Award from for the upcoming 2018 AIChE meeting in Pittsburgh, where she will talk about her interesting research on single molecule studies of comb polymers. Congrats, Shivani!
- October 2018 – Michael Tu, Songsong Li, and Charles attended the JCSER full meeting at Argonne National Lab. Songsong and Michael presented a nice poster on single molecule conductance and flowable redoxmers. Great meeting and opportunity to network with collaborators!
- October 2018 – Peter Zhou, Shivani Patel, Dinesh Kumar, and Charles attended the Society of Rheology meeting in Houston, TX. Congrats to Peter on a great talk, and to Dinesh and Shivani for interesting poster presentations.
- September 2018 – Charles is leading a new research group in the Beckman Institute entitled Molecular Design & Engineering (MDE). He is also serving as Co-Chair for the new Molecular Science & Engineering Theme in Beckman, together with Narayan Aluru (MechSE). MDE is working together with a computational group led by Yang Zhang (NPRE). This is an unparalleled opportunity for interdisciplinary research with amazing colleagues at Illinois, including Charles Sing, Ying Diao, Jeff Moore, Ken Schweizer, Randy Ewoldt, Chris Evans, Qian Chen, Narayan Aluru, Cecilia Leal, and several others!
- September 2018 – Congrats to Hao Yu and Eddie Jira for successfully passing the ChBE Ph.D. Qualification Exam! Hao is co-advised with Jeff Moore and working on sequence-defined conductive polymers. Eddie is building a Molecule Maker in the Beckman Institute and studying synthetic oligopeptide self-assembly.