single polymer dynamics | single molecule charge transport | soft matter | automated synthesis | vesicle dynamics | Stokes trap | DNA data storage
- July 2020 – Congrats to Shivani Patel on her successful Ph.D. defense! Shivani did some really impressive work on single molecule polymer dynamics of branched polymers in flow. She will be starting as a Research Engineer with Intel in Portland, OR. Congrats Shivani!
- July 2020 – We welcome Dr. Gabriel Burks to the group as a new postdoctoral fellow! Gabriel will be studying highly structured biomaterials found in nature, and he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience in soft materials and engineering education research. Welcome Gabe!!
- July 2020 – Our paper reporting an unexpected double-mode relaxation of highly deformed lipid vesicles has appeared in Physical Review E. Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and undergrad Channing Richter!
- June 2020 – Our paper reporting a simple, new electrode-anchor pair for low resistance contacts has appeared in Nano Letters. Congrats to Songsong Li, Hao Yu, and collaborator Jeff Moore on the impressive work!
- June 2020 – We welcome Darien Raymond to the group as a PhD rotation student! Welcome Darien!
- April 2020 -Our paper on phase behavior and assembly of sequence-controlled pi-peptides has been accepted at ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Congrats to Eddie Jira on the nice work! And to collaborators Andy Ferguson and JD Tovar.
- April 2020 – Congrats to Songsong Li on his successful Ph.D. defense! Outstanding work on single molecule charge transport. Congratulations!
- March 2020 – Our paper on single molecule charge transport in pyridinium-based redox-active molecules was accepted at Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. Great work to Caroline Li, Songsong Li, and Hao Yu!
- March 2020 – Congrats to Eddie Jira, who passed his Preliminary PhD Exam with flying colors! Outstanding job, Eddie!
- March 2020 – Michael Tu and Shivani Patel created great presentations for their work on single molecule studies of ring polymers in shear flow (Michael) and comb polymers in extensional flow (Shivani) for the March APS Meeting. Unfortunately, the meeting was cancelled – but the group greatly enjoyed seeing their presentations!
- February 2020 – Our work on understanding charge transport in sequence-defined oligomers appears in JACS. Congrats to Hao Yu and Songsong Li on a striking set of experiments and results!
- February 2020 – Kasra Tabatabaei presented his work on DNA-based data storage at the recent Biophysical Society Meeting in San Diego, CA. Exciting work on encoding information using sequence-defined polymers!
- December 2019 – Ever wonder how genome editing TALE proteins recognize target sites on DNA? Our recent paper in Nucleic Acids Research helps to answer this question. Great collaboration with the Shukla and Zhao groups at Illinois!
- December 2019 – The Schroeder Group has moved the the Beckman Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign! A great collaborative ecosystem for science.
- November 2019 – Our recent paper on non-equilibrium vesicle dynamics and flow phase behavior in extensional flow was accepted at Soft Matter. A beautiful demonstration of soft matter dynamics using the Stokes trap. Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and undergrad Channing Richter!
- October 2019 – Our recent paper on manipulation of anisotropic particles and trajectory control using the Stokes trap was accepted at Physical Review Fluids. Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and Anish Shenoy!
- October 2019 – Charles was named the Ray and Beverly Mentzer Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
- October 2019 – Dinesh Kumar was awarded 2nd Place Poster Prize at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Rheology in Raleigh, NC for his poster entitled “Dynamics of Brownian Anisotropic Particles using Orientation and Trajectory Control”. Way to go Dinesh!
- October 2019 – Shivani Patel, Dinesh Kumar, and Michael Tu gave outstanding presentations on their research at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Rheology in Raleigh, NC. Great job to all for excellent talks!
- October 2019 – Our recent paper on understanding flow topologies in the Stokes trap was accepted at Physical Review Applied. Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and thanks to collaborator Sascha Hilgenfeldt!
- September 2019 – Charles gave an invited seminar in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at UCLA. Many thanks to Sam Srivastava for being an outstanding host for the visit! Great discussions and overall a fun time.
- September 2019 – Our paper on single molecule charge transport and quantum interference effects in oxazole-terminated oligomers has been accepted at JACS. Congrats to Songsong Li and Hao Yu, and to our #powercollaborators Jeff Moore and his group!
- September 2019 – Many thanks to Shafigh Mehraeen and Vivek Sharma for being outstanding hosts for Charles’s visit to the Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Overall a great visit with many intriguing scientific discussions!
- September 2019 – Charles gave an invited seminar in the Department of Chemical & Biomedical Engineering at Florida A&M-Florida State University. Many thanks to Jamel Ali, Christina Holmes, and Hadi Mohammadigoushki for the kind invitation and serving as outstanding hosts!
- August 2019 – Charles has joined the Editorial Board of Scientific Reports.
- August 2019 – Congrats to Eric Johnson Chavarria, Schroeder Group Ph.D. Alum, who was recently named Program Director in the Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities at NCI/NIH.
- August 2019 – Charles gave an invited talk at the 2019 Future Faculty Workshop at Princeton University. Many thanks to Rodney Priestly, Thomas Epps, and LaShanda Korley for organizing a wonderful event to mentor grad students and postdocs who are moving into academia!
- August 2019 – The Shaqfeh Symposium was a success! Approximately 60 friends, family members, and colleagues came together at Stanford to celebrate the career of Eric Shaqfeh. Many thanks to everyone for making this a wonderful event!
- August 2019 – Congrats to Hao Yu, who received an award for his poster presentation at the 2019 Polymers for Advanced Technology meeting (PAT 2019). Hao presented his research on charge transport in sequence-defined conjugated oligomers. Great job!
- August 2019 – Dinesh Kumar was awarded a Travel Grant from the Society of Rheology to attend the 91st Annual SOR Meeting in Raleigh, NC in October. Dinesh will present his work on non-equilibrium vesicle dynamics at the meeting. Congrats to Dinesh on this fine honor!
- July 2019 – Charles gave an invited talk at the SoftComp Workshop in Capri, Italy. Many thanks to Giovanni Ianniruberto, Evelyne van Ruymbeke, and Dimitris Vlassopoulos for organizing the meeting!
- July 2019 – Charles gave an invited talk at the Telluride Science Research Conference on Polymer Physics. Overall an outstanding meeting with lots of great discussions. Many thanks to Muthu and Tim Lodge for the invitation!