soft materials | single polymer dynamics | single molecule electronics | automated synthesis | vesicle dynamics | Stokes trap | DNA data storage
- December 2020 – Charles gave a Plenary Talk at the 18th International Congress on Rheology (which was scheduled to be held in Rio de Janeiro). Many thanks to the meeting organizers for the invitation!
- December 2020 – Michael Tu and Piyush Singh gave talks on their recent work at the 18th International Congress on Rheology. Great talks and nice work!
- December 2020 – Gabriel Burks gave an outstanding talk at the ChBE Future Faculty Seminar Series in December. Way to go, Gabriel!
- November 2020 – Congrats to Shivani Patel and collaborators Charlie Young and Charles Sing on our recent paper accepted at Physical Review Fluids, where we report an unusual and unexpected relaxation behavior of comb polymers in non-dilute solutions. Interesting work!
- November 2020 – Our collaborative work on live cell imaging of Cas9 and TALE proteins with the Zhao and Selvin groups has been accepted at Nature Communications. Congrats to Surbhi Jain and Saurabh Shukla on the nice work!
- November 2020 – Michael Tu and Dinesh Kumar presented on their research at the virtual annual AIChE Meeting. Nice job to both for the outstanding talks!
- November 2020 – Congrats to Kasra Tabatabaei for successfully passing his Prelim Exam with flying colors! Great work, Kasra!
- October 2020 – Caroline Li won the 3rd place poster prize for the ChBE Graduate Student Symposium. She presented on her research entitled “Single Molecule Charge Transport in Redox-active Molecules”. Congratulations to Caroline!
- October 2020 – Congrats to Michael Tu on his recent paper accepted in Macromolecules on single molecule studies of ring polymer dynamics in shear flow. Congrats Michael!
- September 2020 – We welcome three new MatSE PhD students to the Schroeder Group: Hao Yang, Seungjoo Yi, and Hung Nguyen! Welcome to all!
- August 2020 – Our Viewpoint article with Professor Danielle Mai appeared in ACS Macro Letters. We discuss the current state of the field and future directions for single molecule studies of synthetic polymers. Check it out!
- July 2020 – Congrats to Shivani Patel on her successful Ph.D. defense! Shivani did some really impressive work on single molecule polymer dynamics of branched polymers in flow. She will be starting as a Research Engineer with Intel in Portland, OR. Congrats Shivani!
- July 2020 – We welcome Dr. Gabriel Burks to the group as a new postdoctoral fellow! Gabriel will be studying highly structured biomaterials found in nature, and he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience in soft materials and engineering education research. Welcome Gabe!!
- July 2020 – Our paper reporting an unexpected double-mode relaxation of highly deformed lipid vesicles has appeared in Physical Review E. Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and undergrad Channing Richter!
- June 2020 – Our paper reporting a simple, new electrode-anchor pair for low resistance contacts has appeared in Nano Letters. Congrats to Songsong Li, Hao Yu, and collaborator Jeff Moore on the impressive work!
- June 2020 – We welcome Darien Raymond to the group as a PhD rotation student! Welcome Darien!
- April 2020 -Our paper on phase behavior and assembly of sequence-controlled pi-peptides has been accepted at ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Congrats to Eddie Jira on the nice work! And to collaborators Andy Ferguson and JD Tovar.
- April 2020 – Congrats to Songsong Li on his successful Ph.D. defense! Outstanding work on single molecule charge transport. Congratulations!
- March 2020 – Our paper on single molecule charge transport in pyridinium-based redox-active molecules was accepted at Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry. Great work to Caroline Li, Songsong Li, and Hao Yu!
- March 2020 – Congrats to Eddie Jira, who passed his Preliminary PhD Exam with flying colors! Outstanding job, Eddie!
- March 2020 – Michael Tu and Shivani Patel created great presentations for their work on single molecule studies of ring polymers in shear flow (Michael) and comb polymers in extensional flow (Shivani) for the March APS Meeting. Unfortunately, the meeting was cancelled – but the group greatly enjoyed seeing their presentations!
- February 2020 – Our work on understanding charge transport in sequence-defined oligomers appears in JACS. Congrats to Hao Yu and Songsong Li on a striking set of experiments and results!
- February 2020 – Kasra Tabatabaei presented his work on DNA-based data storage at the recent Biophysical Society Meeting in San Diego, CA. Exciting work on encoding information using sequence-defined polymers!
- December 2019 – Ever wonder how genome editing TALE proteins recognize target sites on DNA? Our recent paper in Nucleic Acids Research helps to answer this question. Great collaboration with the Shukla and Zhao groups at Illinois!
- December 2019 – The Schroeder Group has moved the the Beckman Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign! A great collaborative ecosystem for science.
- November 2019 – Our recent paper on non-equilibrium vesicle dynamics and flow phase behavior in extensional flow was accepted at Soft Matter. A beautiful demonstration of soft matter dynamics using the Stokes trap. Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and undergrad Channing Richter!
- October 2019 – Our recent paper on manipulation of anisotropic particles and trajectory control using the Stokes trap was accepted at Physical Review Fluids. Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and Anish Shenoy!
- October 2019 – Charles was named the Ray and Beverly Mentzer Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
- October 2019 – Dinesh Kumar was awarded 2nd Place Poster Prize at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Rheology in Raleigh, NC for his poster entitled “Dynamics of Brownian Anisotropic Particles using Orientation and Trajectory Control”. Way to go Dinesh!
- October 2019 – Shivani Patel, Dinesh Kumar, and Michael Tu gave outstanding presentations on their research at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Rheology in Raleigh, NC. Great job to all for excellent talks!
- October 2019 – Our recent paper on understanding flow topologies in the Stokes trap was accepted at Physical Review Applied. Congrats to Dinesh Kumar and thanks to collaborator Sascha Hilgenfeldt!